While traveling on the red eye to Charlotte,
I was not expecting what lay ahead there.
As soon as I arrived and walked this large airport,
I was overwhelmed with a sea of digital camo fatigues.
Hundreds, if not thousands, walked and sat beside me.
Walking and talking with a private still in basic,
wishing him a Merry Christmas,
walking and seeing those sleeping on the floor,
or eating in a restaurant.
Sitting next to a female recruit, talking to her over her breakfast.
I felt an overwhelming sense of pride,
to be an American.
To have shared the opportunity to be in uniform with them.
To be, in this, in this overwhelming company of heroes.
For a hero should not just be one who dies for his country,
but any one who is willing to sacrifice and suffer
to defend us and our country.
I was proud to be in the company of heroes,
the future soldiers of an infantry brigade from Ft. Jackson, SC.
Good luck and God Bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment