Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"The Insurgent"

Once upon an Iraqi morning, while I slept and was soundly snoring,
On my cot located in the room by the compound door
While I dreamt, dreamt of looting, suddenly there was some shooting
As of some one lightly shooting, shooting at our compound door
..'Tis some insurgent,' I muttered, ..shooting at our compound door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

I remember I was placing, bets on Iraqi camel racing
And each separate empty casing wrought its memory on the sand.
Eagerly I wished to be; - away from Baghdad A-S-A-P
I picked out my MRE- Pork with rice in BBQ
For the dumb and stupid pogues who make pork and rice in BBQ
Disgusting even though it's new.

And the closing loud uncertain shooting of each tracer bullet
Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating
..'Tis some insurgent shooting blindly at our compound door-
Some dumb insurgent shooting blindly at our compound door; -
This it is, and nothing more,'

Presently my hate grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
..You!' said I, ..insurgent, truly your destruction I implore;
So I went to go and get my gun, I wanted to go have some fun
And so I went out violently shooting, shooting out my compound door
There he died, there's no refuting, no more shooting at our compound door
And so foolish you came shooting, shooting at our compound door,
That I shot, and was happy you died – here I closed the compound door
Darkness there, and nothing more

No comments:

Post a Comment